Friday, April 16, 2021

Chapter 1: Page 10: Lines 65-66

 "Would one of my Condition even know how to object, my Lord? I owe you everything."

* * * * * * * * * *

Lines 65-66 Vulgarized:
"Please don't put me in a madhouse. I'll do anything you want."

Subtext:
This response breaks my heart. Because what can you do? How do you respond to "If you're complaining, we'll give you something to complain about" when they're already giving you plenty to complain about? You just kiss the ring and find a way to get out of Dodge. Swallow that fucking pride and get on that boat; it's the only chance for freedom Cherrycoke has at this point.

And so we're learning that Cherrycoke sought justice in an authoritarian society and was punished for it. The title "Reverend," whether technically accurate or not, is at least figuratively accurate. He seems to want to help make the world a better place. And they're not going to allow him to try in Britain anymore. But there are people in the New World, such of them! That's not a typo; it's just a stupid play on words which Occam's Razor would suggest is a typo which is why I typed this sentence following.

No comments:

Post a Comment