Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Chapter 1: Page 9: Line 45

 "What'd they nail you on?" Uncle Ives wishes to know, "strictly professional interest, of course."

* * * * * * * * * *

Line 45 Vulgarized:
"Of what crime were you accused?" asks new character Uncle Ives who works in law to some degree (or is a remittance man of his own), probably a lawyer since 65% of men in the 1700s were lawyers.

Subtext:
"Who is Uncle Ives?" everybody who read Atlas Shrugged is now thinking in the way they were taught to consider characters. I've never read Atlas Shrugged but I probably should because I've only got an infinite life span and what better way to eat away at that ever decreasing supply than to read a shit novel by a shit author about shit ideas? See, I do need to read it because that statement would sound more authoritative if I'd actually read it! The thing is, I know people who have read it and enjoyed it and I didn't like them very much before I learned they like Ayn Rand novels.
    Uncle Ives states he's professionally curious about Cherrycoke's crimes because he doesn't want people to think he's into lurid and sensational stories about true crime. He's a gentleman who wants to be perceived as respectable, after all!
    Whose uncle is he? If he were Cherrycoke's uncle, thus his father's brother, you'd expect him to know the dirty details. If he's the Twins' uncle, he's Cherrycoke's brother (or brother-in-law) and you'd expect the same. He's probably some lonely old guy who lives down the block and heard there were free stories and treats every night at the LeSpark place. That's my guess because I can't wait to be that old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment