Thursday, April 22, 2021

Chapter 2: Pages 12-13: Lines 7-9 (80-82)

 "Went thro' twenty Revisions, dreaming all the while of the Pint awaiting me down at The Jolly Pitman. Then the Pint after that, of course, and so forth.... Growing more desirable with each stricken Phrase, if tha follow me,— "

* * * * * * * * * *

Lines 80-82 Vulgarized:
"If I didn't have any other responsibilities, I would simply drink beer. Lots and lots of beer! But sometimes I'm obliged to focus on something that enables me to afford all of the beer, meaning that thing is too important to be doing while drinking beer, and, let me tell you, it's a struggle, if you know what I'm saying."

Subtext:
Dixon really likes beer and/or really hates work. The name of the pub reinforces that hot take by pointing out that pitmen, or coal miners, only become jolly when, like Dixon, they're down at the pub having a pint. But of course, in their case, work is deadly and awful and who wouldn't dream of having a pint all day long while knowing having a pint during their work day could easily kill them and their entire crew. Meanwhile, Dixon is simply trying to write one flattering letter to some emo guy down at the observatory.
    The best part about Dixon's confession is that he isn't just dreaming of having a pint or drinking. He's actively daydreaming about having the second pint after the first one. And then the third. As if he understands the subtle differences and pleasures of each pint building on the previous pint. He's definitely an expert drinker.

No comments:

Post a Comment