Monday, April 19, 2021

Chapter 2: Page 12: Line 1 (74)

 To Mr. Mason, Assistant to the Astronomer Royal,
At Greenwich
Esteem'd Sir,—

* * * * * * * * * *

Line 74 Vulgarized:
To Charles Mason, Assistant to the Royal Astronomer at Greenwich
Dear sir,

Subtext:
It's just the heading and the greeting of a letter to astronomer Charles Mason. I probably should have split the header and greeting into two separate lines but I don't have time for that kind of nonsense. I have nothing to say about the header and I have nothing to say about the greeting! So I might as well just count them as one line!

The post of Astronomer Royal was created by King Charles in 1675. Its main goal was to discover the longitude of places by studying planets and stars so as to improve global navigation. I'm not sure what year this letter to Mason (from Dixon) was supposedly sent so I don't know which Astronomer Royal Mason was assistant to. It was probably James Bradley but also could have been Nathaniel Bliss. That's a weird thing to type on the Internet where I could easily find out that information! But I'll just keep myself in suspense for the time being. Was it Bradley or Bliss?! I'm on tenterhooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment