Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Chapter 2: Page 12: Line 2 (75)

 As I have the honor of being nam'd your Second, upon the propos'd Expedition to Sumatra, to observe the Transit of Venus, I hope I do not err, in introducing myself thus.

* * * * * * * * * *

Line 75 Vulgarized:
I'm going to be your right hand man on this trip to Sumatra to do some tricky astronomy thing that will help figure out the distance between the Earth and the sun and what-not and I hope I don't mess up this letter of introduction to you so you think you're traveling with a jerk.

Subtext:
Mason is in charge and they're going to Sumatra. But since they're never going to make it to Sumatra, does that open the door for other parts of this statement being wrong? Like maybe Dixon is going to be more of the authority figure and push Mason around? In a jovial and whimsical way, I mean! Like Mason will be a total emo pushover and Dixon will walk all over him, or maybe dance?
    Maybe sometimes there isn't any subtext. More probable, I'm not smart enough to find the subtext. I bet there's some sexy subtext in the phrase "Transit of Venus." Ooh la la!

No comments:

Post a Comment